Your roof is integral in safeguarding your home from the elements, keeping critters out, and improving your energy bills. So when it comes time to replace your roof, it’s important to do research about the best option for your situation.
Aluminum roofing panels are an increasingly popular choice for many homeowners, thanks to their durability, eco-friendliness, and ease of installation. But what are aluminum roofing panels made from, exactly? And where can you find the best aluminum suppliers? Check out our ultimate guide to learn everything you need to know about aluminum roofing panels.
What Are Aluminum Roofing Panels?
Aluminum roofing panels are just one of many types of metal roofing, along with copper, zinc, steel, and tin. As you may have guessed, aluminum panels are made from aluminum, a natural chemical element and metal that is found all over the earth.
Because aluminum is very flexible, it is easy to make into a variety of panel styles. Whether you’re looking for panels or anything else, you can usually find it in an aluminum material.
Benefits of Aluminum Roofing Panels
Aluminum is one of the most long-lasting, durable, and energy-efficient options when it comes to roofing materials. It exceeds many other types of metal in terms of weight-to-strength ratio, meaning it offers a very strong product at a light weight that won’t burden the rooftop.
Here are some of the other benefits of aluminum roofs:
- Resistant to corrosion: Many homeowners opt for aluminum because it doesn’t rust or corrode as much as other metals over time. This makes it a popular choice for coastal climates, where rain and ocean spray can easily corrode other types of roofing.
- Lightweight: As we mentioned before, aluminum is extremely lightweight, making it easy to form into panels and install. A lightweight roof is best for the frame of the house and still offers high durability.
- Easy to find: Because aluminum is one of the most commonly found elements in the earth’s crust, it is easy to find and relatively affordable. It is a more cost-effective option in comparison to copper and zinc.
- Sustainable: Aluminum roofing is one of the most eco-friendly types of roofing, thanks to its energy efficiency and because it is made from recycled materials. Hence, as more homeowners prioritize sustainability, aluminum roofing has become even more prevalent.
Drawbacks of Aluminum Roofing Panels
Clearly, there are many reasons to love aluminum roofing. But before you make a decision, it’s important to know some of the drawbacks, too. Knowing all the facts will help you choose the best roofing for your needs.
Here are some of the drawbacks of aluminum roofing panels:
- Prone to denting: Though aluminum roofs are very durable, they are more prone to denting than metal roofs made of steel. Because aluminum is thinner and lightweight, falling tree branches or hail could dent the roofing panels. However, buying aluminum of a thicker gauge can help eliminate this problem.
- Price point: Aluminum is a mid-priced metal roofing material that is cheaper than options like copper or zinc. Still, there are some options (like steel) that are even less expensive than aluminum, so homeowners who are on a tight budget may opt for another material.
How Long Do Aluminum Roofing Panels Last?
Aluminum roofing is known to be a very durable, long-lasting choice and lasts an average of 50 years. However, the exact lifespan of the roof depends on the climate of the region and how much time the homeowner spends maintaining the roof.
For example, an aluminum roof in a coastal climate may not last as long as an aluminum roof in a drier climate, because of exposure to rain and salty air. An aluminum roof will also last longer if the homeowner takes care to remove moss and mildew, clean the roof regularly, and make repairs as needed.
Other factors that might influence the longevity of an aluminum roof include:
- Roof color (darker roofs absorb more heat, meaning they don’t last as long as lighter colored roofs)
- Exposure to UV rays
- Pitch of the roof (low slope does not drain as well and may not last as long)
- Moss and mildew growth
- Installation process (poorly installed roofs will not last as long)
Aluminum Roofing Panel Installation
If you want to maximize the durability and longevity of your roof, you may want to consider hiring a professional for aluminum roofing panel installation. However, if you have some DIY experience, you may choose to do it yourself.
Here’s how the process works:
- Measure the roof to determine the number and size of panels needed.
- Purchase roofing panels, tools, and accessories.
- Remove old roofing and repair damage as required.
- Install edging along the perimeter of the roof.
- Install aluminum roofing panels, making sure the edges overlap.
- Use roofing screws to secure panels.
- Add roofing ventilation and flashing.
Buy Your Aluminum Roofing Panels Today
Ready to install your aluminum roofing panels? Head to 1st Coast Metal Roofing Supply for high-quality aluminum panels in a wide range of styles. As experienced aluminum panel suppliers, we guarantee you’ll be satisfied with the quality of our products and customer service we provide. Contact us today for expert advice on all your roofing questions.