When trying to make your roof everlasting, putting on a metal roof is just one part of it; the underlayment that you choose (if any) is another huge factor.
A self-adhering peel and stick underlayment is your best bet!
Peel-and-stick underlayments were made specifically to surpass the limits of traditional roofing felt paper. Properly installed, this type of underlayment provides years of protection and a 10-year warranty. For maximum protection, it can be used on the entire roof OR on select areas where ice damming and heavy watershed occur (eaves & valley).
Here are some benefits:
- Self-seals fasteners like nails and screws
- Made to with-stand high temps so it won’t crack or dry out
- Synthetic underlayments can succumb to any or all 3 of the following shortcomings which give wind-driven rain a direct invitation onto your roof deck:
- Snapping back
- Poor seam sealing
Most peel-and-stick underlayments aggressively adhere to its substrate which eliminates any sort of movement like mentioned above.
- Since it is self-adhering, its application doesn’t call for extra nails. This is beneficial since the less holes you must put into the roof means there’s less of a chance for water to be able to invade.
- Since the material is rubberized, it’s flexible; this makes it easy to install around hips, valleys, and ridges
- Unlike traditional felt paper, a peel-and-stick underlayment’s rubberized features keep it from easily tearing thus providing consistent protection while being installed and against severe weather.
- Non-slip surface helps prevent job-site accidents (slipping)
In order to install a peel-and-stick underlayment the surface must be clean of debris and your attic well ventilated since its rubberized features will reduce air flow through the roof BUT other than that, peel-and-stick underlayments are the best practice for today's builder!
Here at 1st Coast Metal Roofing Supply, we are happy to provide you with MFM Ultra HT Wind & Water Seal. Ask one of our sales reps for more information!